22 May Invitation to apply for appointment to the boards of directors of state owned companies
The Minister of Public Enterprises, Mr Pravin Gordhan, MP, hereby invites applications from suitable candidates for possible appointment to the Boards of State Owned Companies within the DPE portfolio.
The Minister is the executive authority of the Department of Public Enterprises and the Representative of the sole shareholder, which is Government, in six State Owned Companies (“SOC”). These State Owned Companies are Alexkor SOC Ltd, Denel SOC Ltd, Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd, South African Express Airways SOC Ltd, South African Forestry Company (SAFCOL) and Transnet SOC Ltd. SOCs are tasked with the mandate to achieve the specific commercial and inherent developmental objectives, both derived from Government broad macro and micro economic, trade and social policies. SOCs are obligated to contribute towards the realisation of the Government strategic objectives as outlined in the National Development Plan, the Industrial Policy Action Plan and the Medium Term Strategic Framework, thereby cogently contributing to the restructuring and ownership of our domestic economy.
Government’s vision is to ensure that these SOCs:
- Facililate economic growth, development and redistribution in identified industries;
- Yield efficiencies in strategic operations and within their economic and investment programmes;
- Catalyse specific sectors, including contributing towards regional economic development opportunities;
- Play a strategic leadership role within the domestic and regional economies; and
- Uphold high standards of good governance, leadership and management.
There is a need to obtain a mix set of competencies and experience to strengthen and further enhance delivery on the overall functions of the SOC Boards. The final appointments to the Board must address gender, age representation, geographical spread and demographic representation. Potential candidates must have experience in strategic leadership, management and corporate governance and relevant technical or business
Requirements: Potential candidates must be persons who:
- Are suitable to serve on a Board by virtue of their qualifications, expertise and experience in any of the following fields of Financial Management, Actuarial Services; Assets and Liabilities Management; Information Communication Technology; Strategic Leadership; Investment; Legal, Legislation & Litigation; Project Management; Manufacturing ; Marketing; Risk Management
- Are committed to fairness, equality, access, openness and accountability
- Are committed to the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 25 MAY 2018
Written applications must contain:
- The full name, address and contact numbers of the person;
- A Curriculum Vitae of the applicant, providing the following information: Full name; ID number and gender; latest postal address, contact and fax numbers/ email; previous experience quoting dates and organisations or institutions concerned; academic qualifications and other directorships;
- Copy of RSA Identity Document and copies of qualifications;
- Disclosure of current and/or potential interests, including contracts and shareholdings, in relation to the Board of the SOC that you wish to serve on in compliance with the requirements of section 50(3) of the Public Finance Management Act and section 75 of the Companies Act, 71 or 2008, respectively;
- Whether or not the applicant has a criminal record, including details of any defaults or judgments;
- Confirmation whether or not the applicant has ever been disqualified; placed on probation or declared a delinquent Director; and
- Any other information that may be of assistance to the Minister in considering the application.
Applications will be subject to the preferred candidates obtaining necessary security clearance;
- Preference will be given to candidates whose appointment will enhance representivity;
- Correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only; and
- Appointment is subject to Cabinet approval.
- The Minister reserves the right to amend, modify or withdraw this advertisement or amend any of the requirements set out herein at any time
without prior notice and without liability to compensate or reimburse any party;
- Acknowledgement of the application does not mean acceptance as a candidate; and
- The Minister reserves the right not to select any applicant as a candidate.
Applications may be addressed to:
Adv. Melanchton Makobe, Acting Deputy Director-General: Legal & Governance /
Ms Orcilla Ruthnam, Chief Director: Governance
Department of Public Enterprises
Private Bag X15, Hatfield, 0028
Email: Melanchton.firstname.lastname@example.org / Orcilla.email@example.com
Enquiries: 012 431 1049 / 1144